Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Hedda Gabler

Henrick Ibsen's play, Hedda Gabler, was one of my favorite readings of the semester. I found it very interesting and had no trouble staying entertained. I know Hedda had a problem with power but I hated the way she used men to have power. She only wanted them if she could be in control. In the end she felt like she lost all power. She said to Brack, "Nevertheless, I'm in your power. Depended on your will, and your demands. Not free. Still not free! No. I couldn't bear that. No." (Ibsen 1517) She felt as though she had lost power because Brack had power over her. This eventually led to her committing suicide. After gunshots were heard, Tesman told Brack, "She's shot herself! Shot herself in the head? By Jove! Fancy that!" (Ibsen 1518) Once she felt she had run out of power, she committed suicide. I think Hedda was a vicitm to society because she felt that people expected things out of her, which eventually led her to being power hungry.

No comments:

Post a Comment