Sunday, May 1, 2011

Gullivers Travel

In the book Gulliver's Travel, The author Johnathan Swift creates a different world to make the readers think about the difference of people lifestyles and how to be set apart and define in a group. There is the Yahoo and the Houyhnhnm's that is uses as an example to separate individuals in society if they do not belong in the group. The yahoo is these emotion and feeling types of creatures that looks like monkeys and then you Have the Houyhnhnm's that is human like but is a horse, but they are the proper one's and the one's with reason and logic. Now the main character is Gulliver who travels and is married and stay away from home a lot. Gulliver is in a land with the different creatures but Johnathan Swift wants the readers to see his point how separate and alike people can be when they compare themselves with different groups. Gulliver's Travel is a book that makes the reader to look how they compare themselves with other people and it can be a prejudice behavior. To feel like a person is superior than the other ones. The Yahoos expresses themselves in a emotional way just like some humans and Houyhnhnm's is more reasoning and just because they don't express themselves like the Yahoos they feel like upper class citizen and their way of life is more better.

1 comment:

  1. After staying with the Houyhnhnms, Gulliver' arrives home and feels very superior to the people around him. He tried to convince the Houyhnhnms that the people back home treated horses badly. After this, he began to feel more superior. He couldn't even stand his family. He said, "At the time I am writing, it is five years since my last return to England; during the first year I could not endure my wife or children in my presence, the very smell of them was intolerable; much less could I suffer them to eat in the same room. To this hour they dare not presume to touch my bread, or drink out of the same cup; neither was I ever able to let one of them take me by the hand." (Swift 479) He felt very superior to his family and had more respect for his horses than he did his wife and kids. He said, "My horses understand me tolerably well; I converse with them at least four hours every day. They are strangers to bridle or saddle; they live in great amity with me, and friendship to each other." ( Swift 479)

    ReplyDelete